Tuesday, May 29, 2018

LITERARY AND RHETORICAL DEVICES


LITERARY AND RHETORICAL DEVICES
1.       Rhetorical question:
Rhetorical questions are questions that do not (expect) need an answer. They are meant to Sway the emotions of the audience, to persuade or to impress e.g. Derek Walcott’s poem, ‘Parades, parades’
The rhetorical questions in Walcolt’s poem communicate bewilderment and hopelessness.

PARADES, PARADES
            There’s the wide desert, but no one marches
            Except in the pads of Old parallels,
            There’s the blue sea above the mountains
            But they scratch the same lines
            In the jet trails
            So the politicians plod
            Without imagination, circling
            The same somber gardens
            With its fountain dry in the forecourt.
            The gri-gri palms desiccating
            Dung pods like goats,
            The same lines rule the white papers,
            The same steps ascend Whitehall,
            And only the name of the fool changes
            Under the plumbed white cork-hat
            For the independence parades
            Revolving round, in calypso,
            To the brazen joy of the tubas.

            Why are the eyes of the beautiful?
            and unmarked children.
            In the uniforms of the country
            bewildered and shy,
            why do they widen in terror
            of the pride drummed into their minds?
            were they true, the old songs?
            when the law lived for away,
            when the veiled queen, her girth
            as comfortable as cushions,
            upheld the Orb with its stern admonitions?
            we wait for the changing of statues,
            for the change of parades.
            here he comes now, here he comes!
            Papa! Papa! With his crowd,
            the sleek, waddling seals of his cabinet,
            trundling up to the dais,
            as the wind puts its tail between
            the cleft of the mountain, and a wave
            coughs once, bruptly.
            who will name this silence?
            respect? Those forced, horse hosannas
            awe? That tin-ringing tune
            from the pumping, circling horns
            the New world? Find a name
            for that look on the faces
            of the electorate. Tell me
            how it all happened, and why
            I said nothing.
-          Derek Walcott (Trinidad)


2.       Euphemism
Euphemism is the use of a polite, pleasant mild and indirect words or phrases in place of move direct ones. E.g. My father has passed away or my father kick the bucket.
3.       Cacophony.
Cacophony is the use of direct words or phrases without an attempt of making it mild and indirect. For example, my father was slaughtered last night.
I am going to defecate.

4.       Parody.
Just as the word suggests, parody is imitating one’s style of singing or writing (artistic style of speech and writing).
Example: Timothy Wangusa’s Poem (Psalms 23 part II)

Original Psalm 23.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
he maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside the still waters.
he restores my soul; He leads in the path of
righteousness for His name’s sake.
yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow os death,
I will fear no evil; for you are with me; Your
rod and your staff, they comfort me.
you prepare a table before me in the presence
of my enemies; you anoint my head with
oil; my cup runs over.
surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all
the days of my life; and I will dwell in the
house of the Lord forever.

Psalms 23 Part II
The State is my shepherd, I shall not want; it makes me to
lie down in a subsidized house.
It leads me into political tranquility; it restores my
faith in the lucrative future.
It leads me into paths of loans and pensions, for its
international reputation’s sake.
yea, even though I walk through the valley of the shadow
      of Kivvulu I will for no kondos;
for the state is with me, its tanks and guns comfort me.
It preserves for me a bank account, in the presence of
      devaluation’
It fills my pocket with allowances, my salary overflows
surely increments and promotion shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the senior staff quarters forever.
-          Timithy Wangusa (Uganda)                          
1.       Paradox: A paradox is a self-contradictory statement which may seem absurd, but expresses a felt truth. For example:
a.       eloquent silence
b.       A good wedding without food
c.       Sweet o dour (smell)
d.       Ugly beauty

2.       Spoonerism:
Spoonerism is a faulty speech usually accidental whereby there is changing of initial sounds of words. For example, instead of saying oiled bicycles, one says boiled bicycle, instead of saying; district one says biscuits.

3.       Ambiguity:
Ambiguity is when words, statements or phrases have two or more possible meanings compressed into this one word, statement or phrase or even a whole poem. All the meanings may be important. For example; Spacious house (can mean, the house has a good or disorganized arrangement) it can also mean, the home is very large.

4.       A postrophe/Apostrophise.
This is an exclamatory address to a particular person or thing that may even be death as though they are present. It’s also a direct address to a thing as if it were a person (human being) For example the poem, “Death be not proud” Refer also to the, “In the loving memory.” In the newspapers.

5.       Oxymoron   
This is a statement that seems to be self contradictory. it consists of words that are opposite in meaning to each other. They however are used more as compound words. Example: virtues robber, Cruel kindness, friendly fire,
rebel angels, etc
 
6.       Metonym
        This is when an object/thing is referred to by another thing.object closely associated to it. That object/thing is however not part of the described or referred object. example, a crowd is associated to authority or power and a pen to peace or education and a sword to brute force.
7.       Synechdoche
        A synechdoche is when a part of the whole is used to refer to the whole. For example, referring to a male as a beard and a female as a skirt.

3 comments:

  1. A literally man is seen from his hand works which are honey.He is honey himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last example given under synecdoche; of referring to a female as a skirt is a better example for metonym because a skirt is not a female's body part but rather something associated with females. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave Your Comment Here.